Radical Events - Race The Sun 2021
This iconic route takes in three majestic mountains – Pen-Y-Ghent, Whernside and Ingleborough.
Starting and finishing at the Pen-Y-Ghent Café in Horton-in-Ribblesdale, you will be pitching yourself against the arduous 23+ mile course but also the severe Yorkshire winter weather.
The race starts bang on sunrise on the shortest day of the year.
You will have 7 hours and 21 minutes to complete the route and get back to the finish before the sun falls below the horizon.
Do not underestimate how severe the weather can be at this time of year. You can expect driving rain, high winds, snow, hail, and thick cloud. And if that was not energy sapping enough, there’s bogs, lots of bogs!
A summer fell race, it is not! But there is no better feeling than beating the sun. There will be check points on route that you must go to, but runners must be self-sufficient for the duration of the race.
There will be plenty of hot food and drinks at the finish! All runners must carry the below essential kit with them. You will also have a GPS tracker so we can find you in case you get lost!
Essential Kit List:
- Emergency Clothing Dry clothing which is packed in waterproof bag within race pack for emergencies only (bottoms and top)
- Mobile Phone Fully charged and functioning mobile phone. It may only work when on high ground, but it can be a vital lifeline in an emergency. Emergency contact numbers will be provided prior to the event
- OS Map – must be waterproofed
- Water Bottles or bladder with enough fluid for at least 2 hours of running
- Water purification system – tablets or portable purification system such as a Sawyer MINI Waterproof jacket & trousers with a hood sufficient to withstand adverse weather conditions
- Spare warm upper layer suitable for the weather conditions
- Personal Medical Kit – to include basics such as blister plasters/compede, bandage, antiseptic wipes/cream and adhesive plasters. Also include any personal medication.
- Emergency survival bag
- Race fuel of your choice to sustain you for at least 7 hours
- Emergency rations – this is in addition to your race fuel and needs to be sealed and marked as EMERGENCY RATIONS
- Head Torch – in good working condition with additional spare batteries or rechargeable battery pack
- Warm Hat or Buff and gloves